2018 Winter Olympics

Back to Article
Back to Article

2018 Winter Olympics

Isabelle Regent

All around the world, the Olympic Games are a staple in countless households. In 2012, it was estimated that 3.6 billion people watched at least one minute of the Olympic Games, nearly half the world’s population. There is no doubt that many people in our community will be tuning into this year’s games. From February 9th to 25th, 102 events in 15 different sports will be hosted in Pyeongchang, South Korea, making it the first Winter Olympics to exceed 100 medal events.

The vision for the 2018 games is to leave a legacy of growth and potential, and it will likely expose new generations of athletes in winter sports. New to the Olympic Games this year is live, real-time, coverage of every event. In past years, the airing of the events was delayed, which resulted in spoilers on social media, and it made it more difficult for popular events to be streamed. But what does this mean for us here in Toronto, seeing as Pyeongchang is 14 hours ahead? Primetime television for us is around 8 pm, at which time it will be 10 am in Pyeongchang. Some sports may still be aired at this time, but it is likely that in order to see all of the action, people in our time zone will need to tune in later.

Students from grade 10 and grade 12 alike have said that they are not likely to watch a lot of the games. When asked if she was going to watch the Olympics, Natasha Czegledy, a grade 10 student, said, “I wish that I could, but it is a very busy time of year, we have a lot of homework and many evaluations coming up.” This seems to be something that many Senior School students at BSS are experiencing. The time change makes it all the more difficult for students to take time out of their busy schedules to tune in for the games, seeing as they aren’t airing at a convenient time. If you do happen to have some spare time, turn on the TV, and keep an eye out for the 226 athletes representing the Canadian team!