Bermuda Soccer Trip Cancellation

Back to Article
Back to Article

Bermuda Soccer Trip Cancellation

Students Taya Connor and Natalie Selfe at a match agains Saint Clement's

Greg Connor

Greg Connor

Greg Connor

Since the fall of 2015, the BSS soccer team planned on going to Bermuda for a soccer tournament, but unfortunately it was cancelled just 16 hours before the planned flight on Friday October 13th. This was devastating for the team, as they planned and looked forward to this event for a year. However, there were legitimate safety concerns regarding going to Bermuda. On Thursday, October 13th, the night before the flight, Hurricane Nicole branched off from Hurricane Matthew and struck Bermuda. This was a category 3 hurricane, and caused winds of more than 185km/h, and left behind more than 200mm of water in some parts of the island. The next day, there were thousands of reported power outages, countless damaged homes and roads, and flooding. The Government of Canada sent out a travel advisory not to fly to Bermuda unless necessary because of these conditions. As for next steps for the team, BSS soccer players are keeping a positive attitude. Upon being asked about the cancellation, team member Taya Connor responded that ““[it was] upsetting that the trip was cancelled, but I’m looking forward to the possibility of it being rescheduled in March.” Currently, BSS Athletics are making an effort to try to reschedule the Bermuda trip later this year.