Why phones positively impact our school environment

Back to Article
Back to Article

Abby Zinman

Should students be allowed their phones?

• Yes (90%, 36 Votes)
  • No (10%, 4 Votes)

Total Voters: 40

Loading ... Loading ...

Imagine that it is the end of your class and you are eagerly scribbling in your notebook or fiercely typing on your computer, attempting to copy down the lengthy notes on the chalkboard that are crucial for your approaching assignment. You sigh as the bell rings, and hope that your rushed notes are good enough. Wouldn’t it be so much easier if you could just pull out your phone and photograph the essential information scribbled on the chalkboard?

Cell phones, though sometimes a distraction, can positively impact a school environment in various ways. Nowadays, they play an extremely influential role in our lives, especially for younger demographics. It is reasonable for students to use their cell phones during lunch and spare periods, where they are free to socialize with their friends both from BSS and other schools. Cell phones can also be used as a way to get in contact with a parent, for example, if a student forgot important school work at home and needed it for a class. “It would be easier to make sure that my parents and I are on the same page when it comes to changing plans last minute,” a senior school student notes. Furthermore, trips to and from the Village during lunch can be positively impacted by the usage of cell phones for safety reasons. Students should be permitted to carry their phones with them without risk of confiscation. As mentioned previously, cell phones are a convenient learning tool for educational courses. They can be used as aid for students, such as taking a picture of important materials or information, making an activity more effective. A senior school student notes that phones are “really helpful for classes, especially in Art for the documentation process.” A study from TRU shows that “more than 1 in 4 students are using smartphones for their homework.” We should not deprive these students from utilizing their cell phones in productive ways.

You may argue that cellphones can be a big distraction to students during class time. This can be regulated with a strict no-phone policies unless instructed. This rule would ensure that phones will not take away from students’ learning or serve as a distraction. Although it is possible that students may be overly active on their phones or spend less time talking to their friends, it ultimately is their decision, even if it may not be seen as the best way to their spend breaks.

An ethical solution to settle the debate about how phones would impact the BSS environment is to outlaw all phones during class time, with exceptions for when they would become useful for the class. Moreover, it is fair to provide students with the freedom to use their cellphones at lunch and spare periods. Though there are some elements of distraction with the usage of cellphones, overall, they would have a more positive rather than negative impact on a school environment.