Successful BSS athletes

PHOTO: Francois Laplante/HHOF-IIHF Images

Francois Laplante/HHOF-IIHF Imag

Addy Huth

The BSS website proudly states that, “BSS is an outstanding training ground for health and fitness, sports skills, teamwork, character building and enthusiasm.” These attributes are all great contributors to the success of numerous professional athletes that have walked through the grand oak doors as BSS students. This article will highlight these women and their successes, as well as distinguish our pride as fellow BSS girls.

Rachel Honderich- Rachel was an outstanding badminton player who competed for BSS as a student. Rachel was extremely determined and is characterized as someone who “really hates to lose.” During her time as a BSS student, Rachel won two gold medals at the 2014 Yonex U23 & Junior National Badminton Championships. After she graduated, Rachel went on to not only participate in, but win silver in, the Pan Am games in Toronto 2015. Rachel now studies Kinesiology and Physical Education at the University of Toronto.

Kaitlin Tse-  Kaitlin graduated BSS in 2015 as a member of the hockey team, a member of Canada’s female U18 team, and committed to Harvard University. In the IIHF Ice Hockey U18 Women’s World Championship in 2015, Kaitlin and her team captured a silver medal. Kaitlin is now part of the National Women’s Development Team and was selected for a three-game series against team USA in 2016.

Tia Miric-  Tia graduated from BSS in 2016. She was, and still is, an extremely talented volleyball player. Throughout high school, she played for the Leaside Volleyball Club, where she won four Provincial All-Star Awards. Tia played volleyball competitively for six years, and within those six years she obtained numerous gold and silver medals, including Canada’s first gold at the U21 Beach Volleyball Championship in 2014. She now attends the University of Western Ontario and plays for the Western Mustangs.