Athlete Spotlight: Sydney Basil

Back to Article
Back to Article

Athlete Spotlight: Sydney Basil

Paige White and Noa Offman

In her twelve year skiing career, Sydney Basil has pushed the boundaries of what a fifteen-year-old athlete is capable of, from winning over 50 medals and being named the “Junior Athlete of the Year” in Ontario, to coming first at provincials this past year. Many people are most likely wondering how she balances being a decorated skier and a Bishop Strachan student. Although this seems like a challenging task, for Sydney, this is her everyday life.

“I love skiing because it has grown to be a part who I am,” Sydney stated. She has been skiing since she was three years old and wouldn’t have it any other way. For her, skiing is not just about winning, it is also her escape. Sydney claims to, “love the feeling of going down the hill as fast as [she] can because it makes [her] feel on top of the world.” Everyone has something that sets them apart from everybody else, but skiing is not the only skill that makes Sydney unique, it is also her drive and her passion. When things get hard in dry land or when she can’t feel her fingers because of the cold, she pushes through since that is what driven young women do. “Even though it is a lot of hard work physically and mentally it’s worth it in the end because I get to do what I love and how many people can actually say that”, asks Sydney.

Maintaining being a well rounded student at BSS is a challenge and according to Sydney; “As I get older, it gets even harder.” Yet, somehow she has managed to keep her athletics and schoolwork at the same level. Last year, even with missing three days of school a week, she was able to do Grade 8 and Grade 9 math in the span of one year. Sydney is part of the high performance athlete program and takes a lot of time out of her busy schedule to discuss her academics with every teacher. She gets her work done efficiently and on time and she acknowledges the fact that “in order to do what I love, I have to get the work done first.” This year already, she has missed two weeks to ski in Colorado and leaves again on December 2nd for Alberta. To many student athletes, this may seem like a daunting task, but Sydney shows BSS girls, that with hard work and commitment girls truly can do anything.

So yes, she is an inspiration to every skier, to every student athlete, but above all else, she is an inspiration to every single girl.